Democratic Municipal Officials Digest
Week of 6/8/2020
We have upcoming state chapter calls for Ohio, Maryland, and Florida. To join, or learn more about starting your own state chapter, email Christine.Senteno@NationalDMO.org.
The right to running water in DMO’s Water Security Campaign has been added to the HEROES Act, but only for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency. Call your representatives to demand permanent federal funding for water security.
- Want to build the movement for water security? DMO now has a sample op-ed for you to publish in your local paper.
- America’s Cities Were Designed to Oppress – From highways to hostile architecture, who was your city built for?
Ideas for Cities
- Thinking about a civilian police oversight board? Look to Seattle for their model.
- A Practical Guide to Defunding the Police – What do protestors mean when they say “defund the police”?
News for Democrats
- A call for mayors, city councils, and police oversight bodies to address police use of force policies – Take President Obama’s pledge.
- Congressional Democrats unveil sweeping police reform bill that would ban chokeholds, no-knock warrants in drug cases