“We connect, elect, and empower Democratic Municipal Officials”
Democratic Municipal Officials (DMO) is a national association of elected mayors, city council members, and other municipal leaders. As a constituency organization of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), Democratic Municipal Officials is the Democratic voice in local politics and the local voice in Democratic politics.
Any incumbent municipal official who self-defines as Democrat, even if they hold non-partisan office, can become a member of Democratic Municipal Officials.
DMO serves as the structure through which municipal officials who subscribe to the principles of the Democratic Party can communicate and promote Democratic goals at the local level. We also serve as the liaison between local elected Democrats and the DNC.
- Democratic Municipal Officials is the fastest growing organization within the Democratic Party and the largest coalition of Democratic officials in the United States. We hold three seats, including an Executive Committee seat on the Democratic National Committee (DNC).
- DMO represents city council members, mayors, and other elected officials from cities, towns, townships, villages and boroughs of all sizes. Our Board Members represent most of America’s large and prominent cities.
- DMO is the last blue wall for the national Democratic Party. We hold the line as Republicans focus their efforts on taking over America’s towns, cities, and school boards.
What We Do
- DMO builds the Democratic future by using both new and old networking methods to link local Democrats, forging a two-way relationship between local Democrats and the national Party.
- We invest in tomorrow’s national leadership by highlighting the accomplishments of local leaders, and training Democrats to win and to speak effectively to our issues. Our Political Action Committee identifies rising talent, and opportunities to safeguard Democratic strongholds while flipping red seats blue.
- We craft solutions for America’s challenges by capitalizing on America’s cities and towns as laboratories for policy innovation; promoting our members’ effective policy solutions; and developing a municipal-based advocacy platform for the Democratic Party.
- Democratic Municipal Officials was started by then Mayor of Little Rock, AR, and DNC Member Lottie Shackelford. She saw the need for local representation at the Democratic National Committee, and the power of organizing thousands of municipal Democrats.
- DMO has since brought on an engaged Board of Directors to lead the organization and ensure a diverse coalition of representation.
- Our staff, guided by the Board, implements their strategic vision and conducts the day to day operations of DMO.