At a time when life insurance was not available to union members, Samuel Gompers, the first and longest-serving president of the American Federation of Labor (AFL), saw the value of a union-owned insurance company. And the rest, as they say, is history.
On May 1, 1927, The Union Labor Life Insurance Company (Ullico) opened for business. Since the first group life insurance policy was issued to Federal Employees Local 105 in Washington, D.C., Ullico has stood shoulder to shoulder with union members and employers to ensure financial security and peace of mind.
For generations, Ullico has responded to the changing needs of working men and women. From insurance products for union members to investments that have created thousands of union jobs around the country, Ullico has been devoted to making life better for millions of Americans.
Ullico is the only labor-owned insurance and investment company, which is why union members and employers across America trust us with protecting their families, employees, businesses and investments. We have proudly been there for the union workplace for more than 90 years…here’s to many more!
Our mission is:
- to serve labor organizations, union employers, institutional investors and the working men and women of America – OUR CUSTOMERS
- to develop and deliver innovative, sound and fairly priced insurance and investment products and services – OUR PRODUCTS
- to ensure the preservation and growth of company assets and provide fair and equitable returns for our labor partners – OUR STOCKHOLDERS
- to nurture a diverse work environment that promotes loyalty, integrity, quality, innovation, teamwork, accountability and sensitivity, and provides meaningful and rewarding opportunities for our most important asset – OUR EMPLOYEES
- to exert a positive influence on the labor movement and on the communities in which we work and live – OUR CORPORATE CITIZENSHIP